Vitebsk State Medical University was founded in November 1934. The first Rector was Professor M. A. Hazanov. The foundation of Medical Faculty was finished by 1941. It included 32 theoretical and clinical departments. The Great Patriotic War broke the work of the Institute for several years. Many teachers and students participated in the defense of the country. The city and the Institute were almost in ruins. The rebuilding of the Institute started in 1946.
Years passed. Medical Institute was expanding; its clinical base was improving. The number of highly qualified specialists, professors and scientific workers was growing. In 1959, the Pharmaceutical Faculty was opened along with the Medical Faculty.
Since September 1981 Vitebsk State Medical University started to train the overseas students on Preliminary Training, Medical and Pharmaceutical Faculties. The number of foreign students was increasing and in 1997 the Faculty of Overseas Students Training was opened. For the large merits in training physicians for public health of Asia, Africa, Near East and Latin America, the Vitebsk State Medical University was awarded with the Medal of Peoples Friendship by the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR. In the beginning of 1999, according to the Republic of Belarus Ministry of Education Vitebsk State Medical University was accredited to a University status.
At present there are 7 Faculties, 58 Departments, Central Scientific Research Laboratory, Scientific Medical Informational Department, Educational and Methodical Informational Center and Library. All departments have computer tests, plaster casts and phantoms, modern medical-diagnostic equipment. There are 5 computer classes and 19 video classes at the University. The physicians’ practical skills are teaching for students in twenty well-equipped therapeutic and surgical clinics. The University has a big field, which is used for pharmacy specialists training.
Principal directions of work of the department